Ivan Stewart's 1984 PPI Toyota SR5 restoration

Wardy

Looking good, Rory! Adding this picture to the thread, from when I worked for Mickey Thompson. Pontiac Silverdome or Indianapolis Hoosierdome, 1984. May be your truck? That's Hall of Famer Curt LeDuc in the lead.View attachment 419

Thanks for posting Barbara! The #15 Toyota is either my truck (#001) or the Frank Arciero/Tommy Morris (#002) Toyota. The #2 Toyota running in 3rd place (standard cab) were built specifically for short course racing. The desert trucks (extra cab) raced a few short course races until the short course trucks (build number #003 and #004) were ready for action.

Wardy

Now that i have possession of the fiberglass it is now time to have it mounted. Since I have never mounted glass before i didn't want to practice on the 001 so i figured I would have a professional do it. Darryl Putman who put the cab on the chassis for us will be mounting the fiberglass. The plan is to take it up to him within the next 3 weeks and have him mount the rear bed sides, front clip and the brackets for the front bumper and grill. I'm hoping to order the bumper and grill/headlight rings and side markers this week and mock them into place. Hopefully this will make it easier for Darryl to mount the front clip.

The rear fiber glass has been taken to my buddy Jason Tilley here in town and we started filling in the holes from the old Dzus fasteners. The rear glass is in decent shape but they definitely need some attention. With all the cracks and holes filled in will give Darryl a clean canvas to mount how he wants. The plan is to make new rear fiberglass panels out of the molds that I have but possibly use these panels to run at the NORRA race. The new panels will be used for display purposes only.

Here's Jason prepping the panels for fiberglass. The holes cleaned up and material removed to the existing glass so the new glass will stick to it. There is ALOT of bondo on these panels, they sure got every ounce of use out of these things that's for sure...

img_5831-jpg.183033

As you can see these panels have had quite a few different colors on them over the years. It looks like you can actually see the original red in some of the photos...

img_5832-jpg.183034

Jason then started sanding down parts of the panels that needed to be massaged...

img_5834-jpg.183036

It was now time to mix the resin for the fiberglass...

img_5836-jpg.183038

And apply it to the fenders...

img_5837-jpg.183039

First phase of the glass work is complete, now it will sit for a couple days and we will jump back on it. When I say "we" I mean Jason. This is his line of expertise but I'm very eager to learn the craft. I've never really done fiberglass work but Jason was more than happy to show me. He could most likely have this done in 2 days but is taking his time to show me some stuff and I appreciate that. Ok, here's a pic from the finish of stage 1, lots more to do to get these fenders back in shape...

img_5838-jpg.183040

Big THANKS to my good friend Dave "Modelman" Baldwin for sending me this "SIC" poster from 1986. I've been looking for this poster for a year now and Dave said he had one but needed to find it. Turns out it was hanging in his pops garage behind 2 other posters! It is not safe and sound sitting in my office awaiting a frame so I can hang it in my office...

yota-poster-jpg.183042

The truck was originally going to head to Collins Motorsports to have the front suspension worked on but they are about 6 weeks out so I'm trying to fit stuff in between to speed up the process.

Wardy

Back in the shop and now working on the steering box. Luckily for me the steering box was still with the truck and in very good condition. If there was no steering box I would have been in BIG trouble because redesigning and reproducing it would have cost several thousand dollars. I was told Mike Schoffstall was the one who did all the work on it and started with a solid block of billet aluminum. If the name sounds familiar, after leaving PPI Mike moved on to co-ride/prep Rob MacCachrens class 8 truck...

rob-mac-class-8-jpg.183201

And then went to co-ride/prep Jimmy Smith's Ultra Wheels Trophy Truck...

5fa965a1-jpg.183200

The only issue we found was the pinion was cracked and could only be used as a last effort spare, and even then it's questionable. A new pinion will be made later but for right now I just need this thing to steer as we get ready for the truck to be shipped to Vegas and we need it as a roller. Here's the pinion....and of course it's a one off so no running to Butchs speed shop or McKenzies, this has to be cu$tom made....

img_3230-jpg.183202

So, now it's time to put this beast back together. Collins Motorsports had already magnafluxed all the parts so everything (besides the pinion) is in good shape...

img_5890-jpg.183204

I had to order up some brush material to help keep debris out of the inside of the steering box because the old stuff was pretty hammered...

img_5911-jpg.183197

Here's an inside look into the steering box. This is the passenger side and you can see the "rack" hidden inside the channel. The bolt you are looking it is where the tie rod bolts up to...

img_5893-jpg.183206

Here's a look at the drivers side complete with the brushes in place...

img_5894-jpg.183207

There are a lot of parts to this thing but it's pretty straight forward once you see how it goes together. Here it is complete and this is how it would bolt into the truck with the brushes facing the rear of the truck. The pinion is located on the top of the box in the center...

img_5912-jpg.183198

Here's the front side of the box, missing the ram that goes in to the aluminum shield but you get the idea. The ram is here, just need to have some new seals put in it...if i can find some that is...

img_5913-jpg.183199

Soooo, the steering is near complete but good enough to bolt back into the truck and steer the truck as a roller. While working on the #001, the UPS truck showed up with some goodies I ordered...

img_5887-jpg.183203

And Jason at SBP Motorsports is getting closer to having the rear fenders completed...

img_5885-png.183208

Pretty good week, we'll see what next week brings us.

Wardy

Jason Tilley at SBP Motorsports is still working on the rear fenders in between doing his real job, should be done today or tomorrow. The fenders had a TON of bondo on them and he had to do a lot of sanding to lighten them back up. He will be shooting one more light coat of primer today....

img_5963-jpg.183269

img_5964-jpg.183270

The UPS truck showed up again the other day and dropped off the 3 piece front bumper...

img_5960-jpg.183266

and side markers...

img_5961-jpg.183267

Now I have the entire front end ready to be mounted...

img_5962-jpg.183268

Been a little side tracked the last 2 days as I'm getting ready to have Challenger IV prepped for a museum stay to empty out my garage for a while. It will be nice knowing Challenger IV will be sitting in air conditioned bliss for a change, she deserves it.

Wardy

History lesson: Race #15....The 1985 Baja 1000.

1985baja1000map-jpg.183442

The biggest off road race in the world (arguably), The Baja 1000, would once again prove disappointing to the PPI Toyota team as bad luck continued to haunt them. Ivan would draw the #2 starting position along with a field of 17 class 1 unlimiteds as they headed south down the Baja Peninsula. His race would be cut short after he passed the only buggy in front of him (Bud Feldkamp/Ron Gardner). This put Ivan first on the road and leading, which has its disadvantages like sweeping the course of spectators. Ivan would get tangled up with a 3 wheeler (spectator) coming backwards on the race course causing damage to his Toyota. He would continue on only to lose the motor before Valle De Trinidad.

85-b1k-ppi-001-jpg.183441

Photo credit Centerline Photo

The #002 of Frank Arciero would have a little better luck but could only manage a 7th place finish in class 2 after problems plagued their Toyota.

Here's the rest of the story with captions from the December 1985 issue of Dusty Times magazine.
Words: Jean Calvin
Photo's: Trackside Photo

Race Specs:
Race distance approx 822 Miles
Car/Truck/motorcycle entries- 211
Finishers- 111
35 hour time limit
45% finished the race

The Biggest story of the race was Steve Sourapas and Dave Richardson winning the race OVERALL in a class 10 buggy! The first and ONLY time a class 10 has won the race OVERALL.

The Cover...
fullsizerender-10-jpg.183443

Class 1 winner...

fullsizerender-1-jpg.183444

Class 2 winner

fullsizerender-2-jpg.183445

Class 1/2 1600 winner...

fullsizerender-3-jpg.183446

**This car is actually for sale if anyone is interested....check out the Link:
TheSamba.com :: VW Classifieds - T Minus 318 days to NORRA 2018 - Be Ready Now!

Class 3 winner...

fullsizerender-4-jpg.183447

Class 4 winner...

fullsizerender-5-jpg.183448

Class 5 1600 winner...

fullsizerender-6-jpg.183449

Class 5 unlimited winner...

fullsizerender-7-jpg.183450

Class 7s and 7 unlimited winners...

fullsizerender-8-jpg.183451

Class 8 winner...

fullsizerender-9-jpg.183452

And the rest of the winners/finishers...

fullsizerender-10-jpg.183453

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the history lesson! If I haven't said it already I call dibs on filming the truck first when it's finished!

Wardy

Just a little update to give you an idea of how the "little" things turn into a PITA. I need to put some tires on the Toyota so i can make it a roller. My buddy Joe Hauler gave me some 33X10.50X15 BFG's that were on their last leg, which is pretty much what I needed (thanks buddy). I was one short so my other buddy Ron Banks let me borrow one. I went to put them on the beadlock wheels and i'll be damned if i get get the 5/16" bolts to work...HMPT. Upon further inspection 1/4" bolts are too small so i was guessing metric. Well, a 7mm fit barley but it was almost too snug. I took the beadlock down to my nut and bolt guy and he also scrathed his head. He found the perfect bolt for the beadlock, unfortunate for me it was an aircraft bolt so 100 of them cost me more than i was willing to spend (but did) for some beadlock bolts that I did'nt think I was going to have t buy because i have a couple million of them in the garage. Oh well, they look good and if i feel like safety wiring them i can, hahahaha......

img_6185-jpg.183484

Long story short I have 3 of the 4 wheels mounted but of course they all leak air so i might just have to use some tubes. Another option is use some of my 5 on 5 American Racing wheels that are basically the same wheel minus the beadlock that I used on Challenger IV. I'll see how i'm feeling tomorrow and go from there. On a side note the front of the truck is now resting on the front wheels for the first time in about 10-15 years (I'm guessing). Nice little milestone for me...

img_6186-jpg.183485

Not a bad day all in all but just some of the little things that eat up a $100 bill on a daily basis when you thought you were in the clear. I should have just bought the truck when it was for sale in the back of Dusty Times magazine back in September of 1988.....I would have bought them BOTH, WITH THE MOTORS, AND I'D STILL BE SAVING MONEY!!! hahhahaha....

fullsizerender-11-jpg.183483

Till the next time.....

Wardy

It's been a pretty good week for me and the first really big goal has been accomplished. Before i get to that there were a couple obstacles to overcome. Remember when I said I went and got all that hardware for the beadlocks? Well, after fighting with them all for about 3 hours it turns out that NONE of them will hold air. I kinda figured they would leak a little but maybe take a few days to go flat....try abut 20 minutes. I haven't had a chance to take the old silicone off the wheels and give them a fresh application which it needs.

img_6176-jpg.183581

As fate would have it, I bumped into a buddy of mine a couple days earlier at the hardware store for the Centerlines and he said he had 7 American Racing Outlaw II's just sitting in this garage and wanted them gone. I didn't really think much of it until and said I didn't think I needed them. Well, turns out I did. A quick call to Frank Russell and i was on my way to pick them up. Frank has helped me over the years and was a lot of help when helping diagnose the overheating issue on Challenger IV a couple weeks before the NORRA race back in 2014. Anyways, all I had to do was ream out the lug holes to accept the 11/16" studs.

I then started on the rear torsion adjusters and cleaned up some of the aluminum that held the cantilevers into place...

img_6201-jpg.183582

The steering box was next and that turned into a fun day. What should have taken me 20 minutes turned into 3 hours because a certain bolt going into the passenger side upright decided to get stuck. After throwing the majority of wrenches within my reach I decided I would leave it alone for now as it was still steering without issue. The steering box going into place...

img_6202-jpg.183583

B O O M ! !

img_6203-jpg.183584

Keep in mind I have not completely finished the steering box and the shafts. For now I'm using the old shafts just so i can get it steering again. Here's a top view of the steering box in place...

img_6210-jpg.183587

The "thingy" the red steering shaft is attached to is an Ingersoll Rand 90 degree impact adapter.....I think thats what Tommy Morris said it was. anyways, you can kinda get the idea of how the steering works between the two pics. Thanks for designing this stuff at NASA boys, I R E A L L Y appreciate it...

img_6211-jpg.183588

First major goal has been achieved, the 001 PPI Toyota is now sitting on all fours and is a roller!

img_6204-jpg.183585

Rear...

img_6205-jpg.183586

A couple more things to button up before it heads to Las Vegas again on Saturday to get the body hung. Thanks again to Frank Russell for the wheels, saved me a couple extra days of grunt work that I don't really have right now. Motivation is in FULL SWING!

Wardy

Spent a lot of time in the shop this week buttoning up some stuff for the roller so it could make the trip up to Las Vegas. Darryl Putman will once again work his magic mounting the body and maybe a few other little things. Time is tight so we will have to see what he can get done in the short time he will have the truck. Besides mounting the steering box I went ahead and put all the Bilstien shocks on the truck too. After the truck gets the body mounted it will go back to Collins Motorsports to have the front suspension massaged. Here's the front end lookin' purdy...

fullsizerender-13-jpg.183720

And the rear...

img_6259-jpg.183721

The truck made it to Vegas with no issues. On my way I stopped off at Butch's Speed shop to see if they had a 40 spline adapter for the steering wheel. Of course since it is an odd ball one that doesn't get used they didn't but lucky for me I got my buddy Tommy Morris on the phone and he replies with "I've got 3 of them sitting in my garage, I'll send you one". I'll need one of these so I can weld a plate on it for the steering wheel adapter...

img_5805-jpg.183727

The truck was unloaded into Darryl's shop and went over the to do list with him...

img_6266-jpg.183723

I started cutting off a few mounts on the hood area so we could lay the hood on correctly so we could get a better look at it. I didn't want to start cutting anything off until I talked with him first since he's the guy that has done this before, not me...

img_6269-jpg.183726

hood pins...

img_6267-jpg.183724

Darryl has a lot of work in front of him but I hope he'll get it all finished when i pick it up at the end of September. My garage has no race cars what so ever in it right now which is so strange for me since I always seem to have something in there.

9-jpg.183728

Updates will now come from Darryl when he gets a chance to send me pic's. I'm sure I can find some other parts to work on while the trucks gone.

Wardy

Not much to progress to report on the truck just yet as Darryl is finishing up some work on another project before he can start mine. Also, I ordered some Dzus hardware the other day and it should be arriving at his shop sometime today....

dzus-jpg.183822

The most exciting thing that happened this week was BFGoodrich Tires sent us some new shoes for the #001 PPI Toyota so she would be sitting pretty at the Off Road Expo coming up at the end of September. I don't think BFG could let us put the Toyota on display with old tires on the truck and supplied us with a set of tires and 2 spares for the back of the truck. Fronts will be 33x10.50x15's, while the rears will run 33x12.50x15's, all of which will be the Mud-Terrain TA's.

fullsizerender-12-jpg.183823

The same day the tires arrived is the same day the steering wheel spline bung showed up from Tommy Morris. I can't tell you how lucky I am to have the guy who helped design, build and race these trucks help me with some key questions about such a complicated race car. It absolutely makes restoring one of these trucks a lot easier knowing I can just pick up a phone and call him...

img_6280-jpg.183824

On a side note, Tommy was having Lunch with Cal Wells last week and called me to see if I had any questions for him. Of course i had a million but couldn't think of any except to ask for permission to make a mold of the front fiberglass and possibly sell a few. I was planning on making a mold no mater what but selling them was a different story as the design was not mine to sell. Cal gave me his blessing so when ever I get a mold made of the front clip I can sell them.....Thanks again Tommy (and Cal).

I have some clean up work to do on some parts I'd like to have powdercoated before the Off Road Expo that would make the truck more "Presentable" so I will get that stuff ready so i can bolt it back on the truck when it returns.

Until next time, enjoy a couple of old school Coors commercials featuring the #001....

Wardy

With the Toyota up in Las Vegas getting the body mounted, I have some time to get other stuff cleaned up and ready for powdercoat. First thing I did was removed the over Dzus buttons that were on the sides of the radiator scoop...

img_6287-jpg.184004

Then I finished up cleaning some odds and ends that will be powdercoated gloss black....

fullsizerender-11-jpg.184003

Here's some other pieces that were sandblasted and now ready for some brite red powdercoat...

img_6290-jpg.184005

Also have to finish up stripping the old paint off the oil cooler mounts and the radiator mount (not pictured) so they will also be ready when the time comes...

img_6322-jpg.184006

ALLCOAT in Kingman Arizona is handling all our powdercoating needs, as usual, and should have everything back in a couple weeks...

allcoat-jpg.184007

Wardy

History lesson- Race #15, The 1985 Frontier 250

For Team Toyota the season would come to a close the first week of December as team Toyota was just finishing up licking their wounds from the Baja 1000. Some changes were in store for the 1986 season including slimming the race team down to 1 truck instead of two. Frank Arciero made the best of his last run in the class 2 unlimited Toyota as he ran a good strong race and ended up 2nd in class and 5th Overall on what most racers would call a pretty rough course.....more suited for the buggies. Ivan luck ran out within the first few miles of the race as his motor went south and they had to call it a day...

fullsizerender-13-jpg.184376

Here's the rest of the story with captions from the January 1986 issue of Dusty Times magazine.

Race Specs:
Race distance approx 240 Miles
Car/Truck entries- 259
Finishers- 116
10 hour time limit
44.8% finished the race

Walker Evans would earn the cover of Dusty Times with his Air Conditioned class 8 Dodge. Walker got to enjoy the AC for another season before class 8 was too competitive to have such luxuries adding weight to his race truck. Interesting side note, Curt LeDuc was his co-rider for this race...

fullsizerender-17-jpg.184380

Ron Brant on his way to the SCORE/HDRA class 1 points Championship, along with his 1st win of the season...

fullsizerender-11-jpg.184374

The debut of the Raceco pickup truck, built in 9 days!!!! Not a bad 1st race...

fullsizerender-12-jpg.184375

Rod Hall at it again...

fullsizerender-14-jpg.184377

Class 7s, 5/1600 and 14 winners...

fullsizerender-15-jpg.184378

Always a fan favorite, the class 3 winner all the way from New England!

fullsizerender-16-jpg.184379

Some kid by the name of Rob "MaCcracken" won class 10 in a Bunderson, was in contention for the Overall win but had a few problems to push him back to 4th Overall...

fullsizerender-18-jpg.184381

fullsizerender-20-jpg.184383

The list of results....

fullsizerender-19-jpg.184382

Wardy

Turns out the truck will not be going to the Off Road Expo this week, there was a little scheduling conflict but nothing major. We will reschedule a date to display the truck at Bilstein shocks later. The truck is slated for display at the BFGoodrich booth (outside near the SCORE display) for the SEMA show so we want to make it as purdy as possible for the event.

I returned from Kingman Az the other day with a load of parts freshly powder coated by my buddies at ALLCOAT. It's truly amazing what a little powder coat will do to a part. Although a lot of the suspension parts will NOT be powder coated due to constant rock rash, a lot of the other parts protected behind aluminum panels and other things got the preferred treatment. Here's a few pieces for the trans, radiator mount, rear end tie down loops, misc screws and jack mounts that we did in red...

img_6452-jpg.184509

Radiator mount...

img_6454-jpg.184511

Oil cooler mounts...

img_6455-jpg.184512

And some misc parts for the front bumper, spare tire mounts, pedals, shifter and mount for oil cooler...

img_6453-jpg.184510

Spare tire carrier and radiator scoop are also done (in black) and will be mounted shortly. Some of this stuff will be mounted on the truck for the SEMA show so the truck will look more like Ivans race truck then just a primered Toyota mini truck. We can't wait to see how Darryl is doing with the mounting of the body, this will be another big step in the process.

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome Rory! I love powder coated parts also. I've had a few done for my FJ55 Land Cruiser project already and it makes all the difference.

Wardy

Awesome Rory! I love powder coated parts also. I've had a few done for my FJ55 Land Cruiser project already and it makes all the difference.

Thank Curtis, this thing will have a small fortune in paint and powder coat but thanks to ALLCOAT they saved me a bunch of money with the smoking deals they give me.

Darryl Putman is moving right along with the mounting of the body. He is only able to work on it during the weekends due to his full time job so it slows the process down a little. Darryl is so anal retentive I give him a break on hounding him too harshly because i know it will be done right and that takes time. Here are a few shots of the front end as of last week. As you can see below the front bumper needed to be trimmed down...

img_6469-jpg.184666

The front tubing for the grille and headlight supports had to be cut off because the originals were replaced to accommodate a Tacoma grille buy the previous owner. Darryl put it back to the way it was in 1988...

img_6479-jpg.184667

Grille is tacked into place...

img_6481-jpg.184668

Turns out the fiberglass front clip had been modified when they made a mold to make it a one piece so I had to drop off the old hood so Darryl could get a better measurement on how to cut it out. He will also have to start shaving the fenders to get them back down to the width they were in 1988. We thing the hood has been widened approx 3" in the center, more towards the front. The measurement at the back of the front fenders is close so I'm guessing we will have to shave 1-2" at the front of the fender and back to about 1" at the rear of the fender. With the old hood on Darryl was able to find the correct location of the grille, then the headlight bezels and corner markers followed...

img_6474-jpg.184669

Another...

img_6478-jpg.184670

With the front "kinda" figured out, Darryl moved to the rear to start laying out the fenders...

img_6538-jpg.184671

This will most likely be a heck of a lot easier than the front. The rear hoops are done, now it's time for the front mounts (he's working on those as we speak) so the rear of the truck could be done SOON!

img_6537-jpg.184672

I'm pleased with the progress so far, although I would like to get the truck back ASAP so I can clean up some stuff and add some powder coated parts on the truck (Spare tire mounts, radiator scoop) for SEMA so it shows better. I'd also like to primer the cab and then put some decals on the truck along with a story board of some sort. Oh well, I will cross that bridge when i come to it. Enjoy the update....

Wardy

History lesson- Race #16, The 1986 Parker 400

Correction from the last update. Frank Arciero's last ride in the class 2 Toyota did not come until late in the 1986 season. I was misinformed and took it a face value....bad off road wannabe historian....BADD! Anyways, Both Ivan and Frank would have sub par results at the Parker 400. Ivan would be close to the front of the class after the California loop, as was Frank, but then both fell victims to problems that slowed them on the Arizona side. Ivan would finish 6th in class 1 while Frank finished 14th in the class 2.

86-p400-jpg.184941

Course maps.

California side (1 lap)...

img_6728-jpg.184952

Arizona side (2 laps)...

img_6729-jpg.184953

Here's the rest of the story with captions from the March 1986 issue of Dusty Times magazine.

Race Specs:
Race distance approx 317.38 Miles
Car/Truck/Bike entries- 415
Finishers- 207
12 hour time limit
49.9% finished the race

Overall 4 wheeled winner: Tom Koch, class 1 unlimited Raceco. 5:12:54.
Overall bike winner: Dan Smith/Dan Ashcraft, Husky. 5:06:43. 61.99 mph average

fullsizerender-jpg.184951

fullsizerender-1-jpg.184942

fullsizerender-3-jpg.184944

fullsizerender-7-jpg.184948

fullsizerender-4-jpg.184945

fullsizerender-5-jpg.184946

fullsizerender-6-jpg.184947

fullsizerender-8-jpg.184949

fullsizerender-2-jpg.184943

fullsizerender-9-jpg.184950

Wardy

Got some good news last night, Darryl Putman is almost done mounting the body and should be completed this Sunday. Darryl has had his hands full with mounting the body, especially the front clip. One thing "HE" noticed was that the front of the Ivan Stewart truck IS about 2-3" wider than stock. He found this out by looking closely at some old race photos and seeing that the headlight bezel area was wider than stock on both sides. If you look closely behind the KC logo on the truck you will see a 2" gap between the chrome headlight bezel and side marker light (blinker)...

img_6780-png.185015

Here's some photos of the body close to completion. A shot of the inner fender well where the front fender mounts to the grille area...

img_6761-jpg.185010

Front fender rear mount...

img_6762-jpg.185011

Rear fender mount behind cab...

img_6758-jpg.185008

Rear fender mount rear of truck...

img_6760-jpg.185009

Darryl had to do some trimming on both rear fenders because stuff was not lining up. As you can see he figured it out...

img_6769-jpg.185014

Here's the front clip mounted and now a 3 piece kit instead of a 1 piece...

img_6763-jpg.185012

Here's a good shot of it about 90% complete. Still need to finish mounting the door skins and side marker lights, then hopefully I have enough time to rattle can the cab primer for SEMA and put a few stickers on it.

img_6764-jpg.185013

She's looking good so far, finally looking like a truck again.

Wardy

Yesterday a guy named Lewis posted a picture of the Toyota from the 1987 Baja 500 and i noticed something on the back of the truck that wasnt there in previous races. Here's the post from RDC...

Lewis, YOU'RE A GENIUS!!! I've been trying to figure out what the hell this was for and you answered the riddle for me! Well, sort of. Now that I know where it goes I have to figure out what it was used for. Looks like some sort of fluid carrier. Doubt it's for the radiator since the water fill for the radiator is located under the "5" on the number 105.

img_6823-jpg.185146

100_8224-copy-jpg.185138

Now if i could only figure out where this goes.....and what it is for!

img_6824-jpg.185147

img_6825-jpg.185148

img_6826-jpg.185149

Awww the joys of restorations, sometimes out of the blue an answer finds its way to you. Thanks again Lewis.

Wardy

Sorry for the shortage of updates lately but not much has been going on since the truck came back from Darryl Putmans to get the fiberglass hung. Racing with Cody Swanty at the Baja 1000 did not help but who's going to turn down that gig right?!? Here's some up close pic's of his work. There rear hoop uses the existing mounts from the frame...

img_7227-jpg.186221

The front half of the rear fender is mounted to the rollcage and the back of the cab, just like it was originally...

img_7229-jpg.186212

img_7230-jpg.186213

Here's the front fender where it mounts near the door...

img_7231-jpg.186214

And a couple shots of the front clip...

img_7232-jpg.186215

img_7233-jpg.186216

Here's a shot from the front of the truck looking back at the inner front fender...

img_7234-jpg.186217

And the passenger side...

img_7235-jpg.186218

Now that I have the truck back it is time to schedule another stint at Collins motorsports to massage the front suspension. When thats complete it will go back to Darryl so he can cut the top off the cab and put a new roof on the Toyota due to cancer eating away at the a-pillars and some other issues...

img_7237-jpg.186220

Back of the cab...

img_7236-jpg.186219

Glad to be back on the truck, its been too long since i've worked on it so I need to get back into the groove. It will be interesting to see where we are at this time next year. I'm hoping it will be close to complete by then but I'm not holding my breath, Thanks for sticking with the build everyone.