Ivan Stewart's 1984 PPI Toyota SR5 restoration

Discussion in 'Shop - Builds' started by Wardy, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Wardy

Wardy Member

Phase 3 is now underway.

I call it phase 3 because it's work that can't be done by me and the other 2 phases were the rear suspension and mounting of the cab. Collins motorsports will be working on the front suspension over the next couple weeks and buttoning up a few odds and ends while it's there. The front suspension is pretty much complete but there is a little binding when the suspension goes through the travel. Not really unheard of if you've ever had a VW beam car, sometimes the beam gets tweaked and it will bind a little, just enough that there is a little resistance. This can still be raced on and for the most part won't cause you any problems.....as long as the binding isn't too bad. The binding isn't too bad and it might just be that the front isn't shimmed yet and a few of the delrin bushings need some love. The lower arms are using the Delrin bushings...

[​IMG]
    photo credit Lance Barron (1984-ish).

The upper arm is a little more sophisticated as it uses brass bushings inside aluminum blocks that the a-arm rotates on...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are also brass shims that push the upper arm forward or backwards to fins it's happy place. If thats not enough there are also shims that are located BEHIND the aluminum blocks to push the upper arm in or out for camber adjustments.....there is a lot going on there. This is the reason I have Collins motorsports handling this portion of the restoration. We will find the happy spot for the front suspension and then note all of the shims in the book so we know where everything goes.

I have to mount the trans back in the truck but it turns out that the rear output shaft is the wrong one for this truck. Jeff Field had to change out the rear shaft in the trans (upgrade) to a 30 spline and now I have to find the correct output shaft...

[​IMG]

The trans needs to be mounted back in the truck to set the limit straps and remeasure the driveline. After thats all set and done it will come back home.

[​IMG]

So here she sits, waiting for the completion of phase 3, very exciting as phase 4 consists of a new top for the cab and then separating the cage from the chassis for bodywork and paint prep.

[​IMG]

Curtis Guise likes this.
  2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

3. Wardy

Wardy Member

Work is being done but just not a lot to report.....so how about an old race report?

History lesson- Race #17, The 1986 Great Mohave 250

Ivan Stewart would finally have luck on his side at this race with a pretty good starting position in the 7th spot (#107). After the first lap (132 miles) he was 3rd on the road a slim 3:45 behind Larry Noel (1st) and Bob Renz (2nd). The 2nd lap (108 miles) saw Ivan and Larry swapping the leap a few times and in sight of each other for the entire loop. Ivan would finish in front of Larry but Larry started in the 14th spot and beat Ivan on time to finish 1st by 1 minute and 30 seconds. Larry would be beat out for the Overall by Jim and Mark Temple in the Yellow Raceco by 1.2 seconds! Later in the day the official results showed Larry Noel had run a check point and was hit with an 11 minute penalty dropping him to 3rd place in class 1 giving the win to Ivan....his first win in the Unlimited class in the Toyota!

[​IMG]
    Photo credit Centerline Photo

Here's the rest of the story with captions from the May 1986 issue of Dusty Times magazine.
    Words: Jean Calvin
    Photo's: Trackside Photo

Race Specs:
    Race distance approx 240 Miles
    Car/Truck/bike entries- 405
    Finishers- 194
    10 hour time limit

Overall 4 wheeled winner: Jim and Mark Temple, class 2 unlimited Raceco. 4:56:36
    Overall bike winner: Dan Smith/Dan Ashcraft, Husky. 4:43:58

Steve Tetrick/Fred Ronn single seat ORE buggy out running Brad Diehl in the single seat DirTrix off the start. The Tetrick/Ronn ORE would finish 1st in class 10 and an impressive 6th Overall getting them the cover of Dusty Times in May 1986.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The results.....

[​IMG]

Curtis Guise likes this.
  4. Wardy

Wardy Member

Well, since the Ivan Stewart Toyota is in Vegas I decided to move the loaner Toyota into the garage and start the process of cutting off the roof. Turns out Mark Waite from Bilstein wanted the loaner Toyota for a rock crawler project and the body is not needed. We did some horse trading and i will be delivering the Toyota to them in a couple weeks. In the mean time Mark said if i needed the top off the Toyota, "have at it". Sooo, it was now time to hone in my sawzal skillz.

[​IMG]

First things first I needed to take all the glass out of the truck. the rear window was Plexiglas but had already developed a crack so it was no problem getting it out...

[​IMG]

The side windows were next and they are in great condition. I will be throwing these up on craigslist shortly so i can make a few bucks on them since i know they are sought after by the Yota crowd...

[​IMG]

The front windshield was also cracked and no easy way of getting it out. I will skip the photos because I didn't want any evidence on how much of a monkey show that was. I then started cutting the C, B and A-pillars as straight as possible...

[​IMG]

It went repetitively smoothly and i finished the entire project in about 2 hours. Here's the top after it was cut from the truck...

[​IMG]

Here's the truck after the top was cut off, and will sit patiently until it gets delivered to California in a couple weeks...

[​IMG]

Hopefully within the next 2 weeks Collins will be done with their portion of the work and i can deliver the truck to Darryl Putman so he can cut off the old top and put this one on. We're getting there.......

Curtis Guise likes this.